Tuesday, March 14, 2017

My Calm In The Storm

 



  As I look back on our life the past 14 years I realize we've survived some rough storms. When Jacob had his six weeks check-up after birth there was no response to a horn being blown in the room. I had noticed the noise of his two older brothers slamming doors, arguing and just being typical boys didn't seem to bother his sleeping or startle him. So our "hearing" journey started with him. After many trips to the audiologist and numerous test it was determined that Jacob had severe hearing loss.
    So while many parents are concentrating on their babies doing the normal milestones we began learning sign language as well. Jacob went weekly to a speech therapist and a sign language teacher came to our house weekly to work with us. His father and I had to decide whether we were going to "main-stream" him (put him in regular classes/situations) or send him to "special"schools.After talking to some great people with the "Beginnings'" program we decided to main-stream. Jacob received his first pair of hearing aides about two months before his first birthday. Challenging was to say the least to get him to wear them. I panicked that he would take them off and swallow the batteries when I wasn't looking. Part of working to main-stream him meant teaching him to really listen and not read lips.Yeah that was fun.LOL!!!During his speech therapy his therapist would talk to him with her hand over her mouth so he had to listen. Jacob worked with Margaret till he transitioned out of the program at age three. She always told him he was going to grow up to be the President. Jacob and I still joke about that.
    After deciding to main-stream we backed off on learning the sign language. I still used a little with him but let's face it we all want our kiddos to be "normal'. Right?  Jennifer, who was teaching us sign language still worked with Jacob weekly with his speech and various other things. I started college and put Jacob in daycare by my school so I could get to him in a few minutes if I was needed. His brothers were in school so he was getting the stimulation and interaction with other children and adults at daycare.
    When Jacob turned three he qualified for Pre-K due to his hearing impairment. His father had left us a month before Jacob turned three and my parents had come up from Florida to help me with the tree boys. I thank God for the awesome support system He put in our lives,family,teachers,therapist,church family and friends. Without these people and God I'm not sure we would have made it as well as we have.
    God was/is my calm in the storm.......Is He yours
   
    Have a blessed Tuesday 

No comments:

Post a Comment